In 1814 all stills with a smaller size than 500 gallons were forbidden. 1814 Matthew Gloag opened up his store in Perth. 1816 determination of alcohol with the hydrometer and abolition of the highland line with a new minumum size for the stills of 40 gallons. 1820 opened John Walker his store in Kilmarnock. King George the IV wore a kilt at his visit in Edinburgh 1822 and asked for whisky from the glen livet. The biggest land lord the 4th Duke of Gordon put through a law where everybody could get a legal license for 10 pound. At the beginning of the victorian era all the whisky was maltwhisky and until 1829 the legal distilleries rose up to 329. Robert Stein invented the patent still in 1826. There was first unmalted barley used for this still, today it is wheat or maize. Aeneas Coffey improved this still in 1830/1831 with an analyzer and a rectifyer. Gerge Ballantines founded his store in Edinburgh in 1827, 1830 opened up William Teachers his store in Glasgow. Grange distillery in Alloa used the coffey still for the first time in 1836. James Chivas opened up his trading company in Aberdeen in 1839. Glas became cheaper with the missing tax on it since 1845 and therefore the bottles became more common. Export to the colonies was allowed in 1845. John Dewar became self employed in Perth in 1846, 1847 Charles Mackinlay & Co was founded and in 1851 Arthur Bell became a partner in a company in Leith. Andrew Usher offers his Old Vatted Glen Livet for the first time in 1860 and this is the beginning of blending which was called formerly VATTING.
The success of whisky has its roots in the tragedy of brandy with the phylloxera. Through the phylloxera the complete brandy market collapsed and opened therefore the gates for whisky. In 1860 the vatting under bond was allowed and in 1863 the first paper labels were introduced by Dewar´s. Port Dundas-Carsebridge-Cameron Bridge-Glenochil-Cambus and Kirkliston distillery founded in 1877 the DCL to avoid a trading war. Black Bottle was registered by Gordon Graham & Co in 1879 and in 1880 Johnnie Walker established in London. Whyte & Mackay was registered as trade mark in 1882 and in 1882/1883 William Sanderson created his Vat 69. Peter Mackie introduced his White Hore in the mid 1880s and in 1885 Arthur Bells sons took over the business. In 1885 the tax income was about 14 Mio pound, as much as short before World War 1. Highland Distillers formed in 1887 and in the same year started Alfred Barnard his well known journey around the distilleries. Under Sir Lionel Playfair blended whisky was allowed to call as SCOTCH in 1890. 1893 registration of Dimple from Haig and 1894 introduction of The Grouse Brand from Gloag (better known as The Famous Grouse since 1900). The market collapsed through the bankrupt of Pattison in 1899.